[nsp] first big cef issue

From: Ramin K (mr_list@netzero.net)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2001 - 20:17:36 EST

        We had our first definite/serious cef issue and I realized that I really
don't know jack about dealing with it.

        In this case packets sourced from one /23 routed fine over the OC-3. The
other /23 did not work at all. Bounced the OC-3, cleared BGP, cleared the
route, etc. no change. Decided it really was cef. I shut the OC-3 down
till the maint window. Talked to Cisco and the peer, cleared cef on the
line card that night and the problems went away.

        Am I limited to mostly just clear cef on the line card and hope the router
does not explode? The adjacencies seemed fine from what I could tell. Is
that also a symptom, everything looks okay? When I did the clear cef slot
#, all the other linecards kicked out cef tracebacks and CPUHOG messages.
Is that standard too? I'm looking for more real world practical experience
since I'm also talking to Cisco to get an idea on how to handle it better.

        We're approaching a Gb/s total at peak now and from what I've heard cef
problems will likely increase with traffic. Is there a "Recognizing and
Killing a CEF Issue During Production Without Causing Serious Downtime Best
Practices" doc? :-)

Ramin

Shop online without a credit card
http://www.rocketcash.com