[nsp] WCCP for the proxy port

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz (map@internet.org.ph)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 12:20:34 EST

Before I try this out, I'd appreciate some feedback.

Because of problems with WCCP interception caching, such as MSS/MTU, I'm
thinking of making end-users use a proxy setting instead, but this proxy
setting will try to be fail-safe.

For example, customers at a POP will use IP 192.168.0.1 as their proxy in
their browser. They are free to remove the proxy setting and browse directly
if they wish. The real 192.168.0.1 is near the core network and will be a
cluster of caches.

However, to save POP-to-core bandwidth, let's use WCCP to redirect 192.168.0.1
to a proxy inside the POP. This way, we localize the traffic yet we don't
surprise the customer if there is proxy trouble since they know there is one.

Thoughts?

--

http://www.internet.org.ph The Philippine Internet Resource Mobile Voice/Messaging: +63-917-810-9728