policy routing on 6500 ios (athena/cosmos)

From: Andrew Fort (afort@staff.webcentral.com.au)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 23:52:19 EST

Is anyone here using large numbers of route-maps for policy routing on their
6500s running native ios (a.k.a. athena, c6sup1{1,2} image) and have any
negative words on stability or performance doing this?

my application is setting the default nexthop based on the ingress
interface, e.g.

route-map vlan104-policy permit 10
 match interface Vlan104
 set ip default next-hop a.b.c.d

so that paths advertised out to only one BGP neighbor (our router in that
link has interface a.b.c.d) have symmetrical routing where the BGP neibghbor
is not our default (but provides transit), and we dont use their BGP table
for path determination.

How is this handled by the 6500, does the PFC handle all this in hardware?

-afort