[nsp] BGP, OSPF IOS bugs? caveats?

From: Basa, Angelito A. (BasaAA@etpi.com.ph)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 05:17:32 EST

Hi!

I'm using BGP neighbor x.x.x.x password config command to setup BGP peering
on a 7206VXR IOS release 12.1(7).

We have a customer preconfigured with that command but said customer's using
an old IOS (IOS Release 11.0 when it first appeared) which doesn't support
the said command. What we did was to remove said customer from the
peer-group to get rid of the authentication part but BGP didn't
establish.Clearing the peering didn't work. We deleted the BGP neighbor
configs, put it back on and BGP state is established.

second thing, on filter-lists on our 7507 border. We edited an outbound
filter-list to block a customer AS on our transit connection then cleared
BGP out. The filter didn't work correctly. The said customer's prefixes were
announced to upstream peers. We created another filter list using the SAME
config, updated the BGP neighbor statement, cleared outbound peering and it
worked. I cannot use the no-export community since I want the routes to be
announced to other local peers. What could have gone wrong?.

last thing on OSPF for newly configured network, sometimes we cannot make
the new settings to take effect. We flush the configs by clearing OSPF
process but one time required rebooting the router for the new configs to
take effect. This is puzzling us for quite some time. Some routers in our
lab setup don't have the feature to "clear ip ospf proc". I guess it's not
supported due to old IOS.

been scanning your archives (since 1997) and I can't find a similar problems
from the subject alone (or I missed it?)

if these can be fixed on later IOS releases, what is the most recommended?
please direct to me off-list your questions/clarifications.