networking between Virtual-Access ints

From: Dan Debertin (airboss@bitstream.net)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 14:41:39 EDT

We have lots of DSL customers connected to a 7206, running IOS 12.1. The
vast majority of them have the Cisco 675 as their CPE. We're starting to
see problems with customers not being able to talk to eachother,
especially in this circumstance:

Cust 1: c675 has a dynamic address with the following pertinent RADIUS
info:
Framed-IP-Address = "255.255.255.254",
Framed-Route = "10.0.0.0/27 0.0.0.0";

(i.e., "Assign them a dynamic IP address, and route 10.0.0.0/27 via that
address". 10.0.0.0/27 is, obviously, not the real address. The c675 in
this case is not running NAT)

Cust 2: c675 has a dynamic address with the following RADIUS info:
Framed-IP-Address = "255.255.255.254";

(c675 gets a dynamic IP address, and uses NAT on the customer PC(s))

In this particular case, Customer 2 can't talk to the subnet behind
Customer 1's router. Traceroutes die at the 7206. The problem goes away
when Customer 2 switches to a situation in which he isn't doing NAT.

I *think* what's happening here is that the c675 with NAT enabled is
sending packets with a source address of the remote end, but I'm not sure.
The pertinent config on the 7206 is this:

interface Virtual-Template1
 description cloned PTP interface for dynamic-IP DSL
 ip unnumbered Loopback0
 peer default ip address pool dsl-ppp-net1
 ppp authentication pap ppp-inbound
 ppp authorization ppp-inbound
!
ip local pool dsl-ppp-net1 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.254

That seems like everything pertinent. I can provide more config info if
needed.

Dan Debertin

--
++ I do not drink tea.