RE: [nsp] CEF

From: David Sinn (dsinn@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 17:31:24 EDT

While conceptually this is all true, the reality can be slightly
different.

If you look at how many actual cache entries a 3600 series router would
be expecting to see (given the size of a pipe that it can handle, and
the commensurate data source/sink it would be attached to) fast-caching
can, and in my experience does, perform better overall then CEF, taking
less CPU and memory.

For that matter I know of quite a few 7200 and 7500 (distributed and
not) deployments where fast/optimum-caching works quite well, and it can
be argued if CEF would really add much benefit.

RPF does offer some benefits, but again you need to look at your
applications to see if RPF (with or without the enhancements) even makes
sense.

David