Re: AS5800/AS5300 & ISDDN

From: Aaron Leonard (Aaron@Cisco.COM)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 12:41:46 EDT

> Hello

> In my network i have a lot of AS 5300 & AS 5800 until now we are just
> offering a normal analouge dial-up do we have to add any special cards
> inorder to start offering ISDN services?

All of the AS5300 and AS5800 T1/E1 trunk cards support full channel utilization
for sync PPP ISDN calls. (The AS5800 T3 trunk card supports sync PPP
for 200-some calls.) For V.120 calls, the framing is done in IOS so
it's CPU intensive - you can probably support a hundred or so V.120
calls per chassis. For V.110 calls, the framing is done in MICA just
as with analog modem calls, so you can terminate as many V.110 calls
as you have modem ports.

> and what are the limitaions on
> this? on the AS5800 we have 4*12=48 E1 while we have only
> 1152 modems wich utilize about 39E1 , can we use the rest (9E1) for ISDN
> calls?

Yes, you could.

> do ISDN work with R2 signalling (the type of signalling we use) and

No, ISDN is an entirely different (and superior) signaling method.
As far as whether we support any ISDN data applications (sync PPP, V.120 or
V.110) over R2 ... I THINK we can handle them over R2
(discriminating on the basis of DNIS) if you use RPM.

> finally what are the main advanteges of ISDN?

Versus R2, with ISDN you get quicker and more reliable call setup,
call-by-call handling of different call types (via bearercap), and
much more useful signaling information in general (e.g., when a
call setup fails, why it failed, and which equipment rejected the call.)
ISDN is MUCH easier to configure than R2.

Aaron