RE: [nsp] 7513 crash

From: scott w (scott@digisle.net)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 18:12:37 EDT

Hi Guys,

One should not discount this. It *has* an affect. What kind of affect it
has on a particular piece of equipment is all that is debatable. If you
dig into it a little, I think you might be suprised how much an affect
solar radiation has on various network elements...

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast27apr_1.htm?list117900

   "In late March, the biggest sunspot of the current solar cycle glided
    across the face of our star. Covering an area equal to fourteen planet
    Earths, the sprawling complex known as "AR9393" was an impressive
    sight."

   "It not only looked menacing -- it was. Just as the behemoth was poised
    to vanish over the Sun's western limb on April 2nd (carried away by
    the Sun's 27-day rotation), it unleashed the most powerful solar flare
    ever recorded.

   "Although the blast was directed mostly away from Earth, it
    nevertheless triggered a radiation storm around our planet and a
    dazzling display of Northern Lights. Aurora watchers enjoyed the
    show, but many also breathed a sign of relief when the giant spot went
    away. A direct blast from AR9393 could have triggered widespread radio
    blackouts, disrupted satellite communications and even collapsed power
    grids.

scott