Re: [nsp] how counters get updated

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 13:00:41 EDT

Hi,

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 03:37:29AM -0400, George Boulescu wrote:
> I'am using a bunch of 75xx running IOS 12.0S and 12.1E series.
> Every router has at least a VIP2-40 with FastSerial PA's or E3 PA's on it.
>
> I have this strange problem : sometimes when issuing a 'show interface' on
> an E3 interface for example, I get output that shows something like
> 38Mbits/sec input rate, anyway something bigger then 34Mbits/sec.

Known bug in at least 12.0(15)S and 12.0(16)S (has at least two different
bug IDs). This happens immediately after the "output bytes" counter has
wrapped around at 4 Gbytes - something "really huge" gets fed into the
algorithm that calculates the 5 minute average value.

[..]
> I belive that this is a VIP related problem. Probably the counters don't
> get updated at a regular period of time.

At least for the output counters, it happens for the 7200 as well, which
does not have VIPs (I've seen over a Gbit go out over a PA-FE...)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de