Re: [nsp] Terminating PtP E1 in 3660 - NM-4E1-IMA

From: Ray Davis (ray@carpe.net)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 07:14:51 EDT

> is it possible to terminate simple E1 leased-lines (controller E1,
> channel-group 0 timeslot 1-15,17-31) in a NM-4E1-IMA (or 8E1) on a 3660
> without using ATM at all?
>
> It was possible on the MC3810s (only one channel-group allowed, but
> that's OK) and we will upgrade to a 3660... We want to avoid purchasing
> external G703<->X21 terminaladapters and using 8xSerial on the Cisco.

Get some WIC slots (NM-2FE2W for example) and a couple of these:

VWIC-1MFT-E1 1 x E1 structured
VWIC-2MFT-E1 2 x E1 structured
VWIC-1MFT-G703 1 x E1 unstructured (and structured?)
VWIC-2MFT-G703 2 x E1 unstructured (and structured?)

I'm not sure how many of these a 3660 can deal with. We have a 3662
with one VWIC-2MFT-G703. It was supposed to replace a WIC-2T with
external converters. It did replace one E1 unstructured line,
although that line seems to go down/up periodically which it never
used to do.

I was unable to get it to replace the other line which is an in-house
G703 line that we have to actively clock at one end. The existing
converter is able to clock the line just fine, but I could not get
the VWIC to do so (or at least to do so in a way to make the Cisco
on the other end happy).

Also be careful you have an IOS which actually supports these VWICs.
We're currently running 12.1(5)T5.

Cheers,
Ray