RE: [nsp] generic traffic shaping

From: LEE Jin Hian (jhlee@starhub.com.sg)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 03:40:08 EDT

Charles,

As I understand it, the differences between CAR & GTS are:

a) GTS
- performed on an output (egress) interface
- involves queueing & buffering to smooth out peaks in traffic
- drops packets only when buffer memory runs out

b) CAR
- performed on an input (ingress) interface
- pure policing, i.e. any traffic that exceeds the burst values is dropped
immediately

AFAIK:

i) GTS should be used by an SP's customers to ensure that they stay within
the bandwidth limits that they have purchased.

ii) SPs will probably run CAR on the ingress interface if required. At
least, we do.

iii) GTS is much preferable to CAR because it isn't so prone to dropping
packets. Hence, it's much less likely to require packet re-transmits and
trigger TCP's congestion control mechanisms.

Regards,
Jin