Re: Preventative Maintenance

From: Mark Ivens (mivens@clara.net)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 08:58:44 EDT

Thus spake Alfredo Sola (alfredo@intelideas.com):

> > Hopefully this is not off-topic. I am looking into setting up a
> > preventative maintenance shcedule for our network of Cisco routers.
> > Basically, cleaning the power supply fans,

Depends on the platform.

For example, Cisco says you should "remove and vacuum the air filter
at least once every two weeks" of a 7507.

Hands up how many of us do that?

> > rebooting periodically,

Eeek no.
Besides, that would ruin your rating on uptimes.net :)

> > and checking on cable connections,

Again, best left alone.

The best way of messing up a cable connection is to "check" it.

There is a possibly apocryphal statistic that when the engineers of
the UK national telco, British Telecom were on strike, the number of
reported faults decreased dramatically as there was no-one to disturb
any connections by checking and the like.

  Mark Ivens   mivens@clara.net   "I asked for a car,I got a computer.
    Systems Administrator         How's that for being born under a
         ClaraNET Ltd                 bad sign?" - Ferris Bueller