RE: [nsp] [nsp] RSP8 amd Rec. Side Buffering (was: VIP if-con and IOS switching)

From: Martin, Christian (cmartin@gnilink.net)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 00:05:13 EDT

I am doing performance testing on a 7513 using VIP2-50s with PA-POS-OC3
cards (8 all together). dCEF enabled, with 65000 flows running through it
for a total of 600Mbps aggregate (70kpps with .1% loss). The CPU on the RSP
is fine (0%). The VIPs are all at 99% doing RSB. The problem is this:

1) There isn't enough MEMD on RSP4 to switch packets agressively between
VIPs, and
2) There isn't enough CyBUS bandwidth to do so either.

What I am about to do is load up some RSP8s and rerun my test, as the 64MB
of MEMD should help with the RSB drop issue. My question is this:

Does RSP8 add 'bandwidth' to the CyBUS or do we need VIP4-80s to get 4Gbps
(I seem to remember something about a CzBUS)? I want to see how far the
7513 can go.

Anyway, the important point to remember is that true distributed switching
on the RSP platforms only occurs between PA's in the same VIP (unlike the
GSR). InterVIP switching requires the RSP to manage access to MEMD between
VIPs (hence the high amount of RSB drops when the load is high).

regards,
./chris