[nsp] cisco hdlc packet formats

From: Sonam Thapa (aos824@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 18:24:45 EDT

Hi,

I didn't know which other public list to ask this
on - cisco-nsp seemed the closest so here goes.

I was wondering how one demultiplexes IS-IS
packets over cisco-hdlc. Cisco-hdlc has a 2 byte
protcol type which follows ethertype quite closely.
For IS-IS packets does this protcol field have the
value 0xFEFE (denoting OSI packets). If this is
so, how does a system know what type of packet
it is - IS-IS, ES-IS etc.

Is there any cisco or ietf document (for use
with protocol analyzers) available that specify
the packet formats for cisco-hdlc in general and
OSI packets over cisco-hdlc in particular.

TIA,
-aos