Re: [nsp] Real world 3640 experience question.....

From: Spencer Garrett (srg@2alpha.net)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 22:27:28 EDT

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Tom Mastre wrote:

> Anyone using a 3640 to run 3 T-1 connections to 3 different up-streams? Does
> the 3640 have enough cpu, memory, chutzpa to run them well?

It works very well for us. A 10 Mb, a single T, and a dual T to three
different providers moving about 11 Mbps at peak uses just over half
the cpu and about 2/3 of the memory. We do ingress/egress filtering
on each of our transit links. We don't currently use CEF or BGP
soft-reconfiguration-inbound, but we've run both in the past. We
do use netflow, both for performance enhancement (re: the access lists)
and statistics accumulation/accounting. We're getting just over 100k
routes from each of our 3 transit providers, and about 10k routes from
our various peers. It takes about 4 or 5 minutes (at 100% cpu) to
acquire those 100k routes from an upstream when we bring up the
interface, but the router seems to function just fine while it's doing
that (as long as you don't mind slow ping response). We're currently
running 12.1.5a IP-only and aren't aware of any IOS problems, but
we're not doing anything fancy on this router.

Spencer