Re: [nsp] c7200 architecture question?

From: Siva Valliappan (svalliap@cisco.com)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 18:14:15 EDT

some comments inline to clarify what might be vague on the documentation.

cheers
.siva

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (I take the liberty to bring cisco-nps back on CC:)
>
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 04:56:02PM -0400, Aaron Weintraub wrote:
> > http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/7206/port_adp/3471pac6.htm
> >
> > agrees with what you think, which also agrees with what I think.
> >
> > There are not 3 busses in the 720x to my knowledge.
>
> Actually, that document backs *both* statements :-)
>
> Quote: "The optional ports on the I/O controllers connect to a third PCI
> bus, mb0, that connects to one of the PCI buses or to both of the PCI buses,
> depending on which network processing engine (NPE) or network services
> engine (NSE) is installed and supported in your system."

mb0 connects to mb1. so you effectively only have 2 PCI buses - mb1
and mb2.

> So it's a separate bus, but the bandwidth used will usually be charged to
> the other bus(es).
>
> Now the interesting question is: for which NPE/NSE, where does it connect
> to? Even more fascinating :-) - but it seems that all available NPE/NSEs
> connect mb0 to mb1.
>
> Quote: "For a Cisco 7200 VXR router that has an NPE-300, NPE-400, or NSE-1
> installed, the following error messages are displayed:
> %C7200-3-PACONFIG:Exceeds 600 bandwidth points for slots 0, 1, 3 & 5"
>
> (and similar for the lesser NPEs).
>
> So the book is in error (kind of). There are a few more (it claims the
> NPE-300 runs with 300MHz, but the NPE itself claims 262 MHz), but the part
> on IOS architecture (what it's about after all) seems to be very good.

the npe-300 uses a r7k cpu running @ 262 MHz, the npe-400 uses a
r7k cpu running @ 350 MHz. the figure refers to vanilla pos-to-pos
switching (300 kpps forwarding performance in lab conditions with a
NPE-300, 400 kpps forwarding performance with the NPE-400).