Re: Problem with 2500's

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 03:41:55 EDT

The 2501 isn't going to see more than 16M, did you try it with just one
SIMM? I forget whether it will take 1x16M or only 2x8M...

The problem with these beasts are two, that they take some fixed memory
map like 64M and block out fixed chunks for DRAM, ROM, Flash, IO, etc,
and the memory controller functionality only implelments some fixed
number of DRAM sizes. In some cases, Cisco went a step beyond what
seemed like a "reasonable" max at design time, in others, they wanted
to support minimal configurations (which don't make any sense today)
and and you get a 1-16 range, where 4-64 would be desireable.

                                                George