Re: [nsp] how to fool the SPF in OSPF?

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 03:38:05 EDT

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 11:18:40PM -0400, George Robbins wrote:
> Why use a four-letter routing protocol when you can use a three-letter one?
>
> If you're plannning on talking BGP to the world and at multiple point
> within your network, consider using iBGP as your iGP?

One of the reasons why BGP as an IGP is "not enough" is that BGP is just
too slow to converge - if an internal line fails, and there is a backup
path to the site in question, I want that to be used in a few seconds, not
in minutes.

iBGP combined with EIGRP/OSPF/... can do this (put the loopbacks into IGP,
speak iBGP between loopback addresses), but iBGP alone won't.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de