RE: JNCIS

From: Tran, David (david.tran@digex.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 07:48:32 EDT

Hi Martin,

The JNCIS exam is much more difficult then CCIE in my opinion.
Having said that, I also think the exam is FAIR because it doesn't
throw in questions that are irrelevant to the exam, stuffs that
Microsoft and Cisco are notoriously known for. Furthermore, since
Juniper is heavily concentrated at the core, you have to know OSPF,
IS-IS, BGP and especially MPLS down cold. Otherwise, you will not
pass the JNCIS exam. There are 73 questions and the passing score
is 80%.

How did I prepare for the exam you asked? Well, since most of my
experiences come from ISDN and enterprises environment, I didn't have
a chance to get my hand dirty on most of the things that I've mentioned
above. Fortunately, I was able to get my hand on Olive. For those who
don't know what Olive is, it is a JUNOS that run on PC. I use Olive to
set up a home lab with similar scenarios that are offered by Juniper.
After playing with Olive for 3 months and reading through thousand of pages
in Juniper documentation, I took the JNCIS exam and passed with the bare
minimum. I guess I know enough about JUNOS to be dangerous but I don't have
production hand-on experience with Juniper, only in the lab environment.
I guess you can call me "paper" JNCIS which is OK by me. You can get the
documentation at http://www.juniper.net.

Oh, one other thing, please do NOT send me email asking me for a copy of
Olive code. I am NOT going to do it because it is against the law. I am
NOT going to trade it either because of the same reason. I've heard that
Olive is no supported by Juniper. Therefore, please do not fill up my mail
box with the request. I understand that everyone would like to learn
Juniper,
which I think is a great product, but I am not going to put my behind on the
line because I don't want to get in trouble with the law.

David Tran
JNCIS