[nsp] Cisco IOS Server Load Balancing

From: Alessandro Chiolo (alessandro.chiolo@it.easynet.net)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 18:06:30 EDT

I need to host a customer who wants a dedicated router, a firewall and wants
to be able to load-balance 4 of his web servers (which should be two
different virtual servers) behind that. The projected sustained traffic is
about 4mbps, occasionally peaking to 16-20mbps.
I noticed that IOS 12.2 (and some earlier 12.1Ts of course) introduced
support for Server Load Balancing for the 3640, so this could be a nice way
to integrate all the features I need in a single box, thus avoiding a much
more expensive load balancing switch (4840G being the cheapest if i'm not
mistaken).
I could even get 2 3640 and configure them with HSRP (and still be cheaper
than a single SLB switch). Would a 7200 be best suited for the job, given
the estimated traffic?

But, more important, has anyone already tried using SLB on an IP/FW/IDS PLUS
IPSEC 3DES 12.1?

cheers,
Alex