[nsp] 'permanent' keyword in 'ip route'....

From: Elijah Kagan (elijah@netvision.net.il)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 05:50:10 EDT

Does anybody knows what is the 'permanent' keyword supposed to do?

According to Cisco this keyword "...specifies that the route will not be
removed, even if the interface shuts down".

should stay in the routing table even in case the <interface> is down.
Basically, it is a shorter form of:
 ip route <net> <mask> Null0 254

For some reason, this 'permanent' keyword doesn't work for me on 12.0(_)S.
The route disappears when I shut its related interface.

Am I wrong in my understanding of what 'permanent' does?

-- elijah