PRI to PRI calls through a 3810 as a mux

From: C. Jon Larsen (jlarsen@richweb.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 16:00:49 EDT

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there as used an MC3810 (or a 36xx box) to
do something like this:

cisco-pri---->ISDN_PSTN------>pri--->mc3810---->data

                                        +------>pbx

I have customers (potential) that have voice pris up and running direct
into PBXes that would like to break a few of those B channels off and use
them for data (internet access).

The cisco-pri box is happily running with dialer interfaces, placing calls
to remote bris. Adding a capability to call a remote pri is a snap as
well. The problem is getting access to the data stream at the remote
end to run both voice and data on that customer's pri.

I was thinking that something like this might work:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/788/pkt-voice-general/crs_cnct_fr_for.html

(protected URL, you'll need your CCO login to view)

The MC3810 would pass the D channel straight through to the PBX for, say,
20 channels of voice, and it could drop 4 of the DS0s off onto a serial
interface for 256K of data.

In my mind it won't work with the 3810 b/c the 3810 is not handling the D
channel natively, and it wont know how to do call setup and teardown on
the muxed out 4 DS0s.

Maybe someone smarter than me though could show a way to do this (with
equipment that would fall into an acceptable range for CPE - say 2500 to
5000 dollars per PRI/site ??)

The hq site will place all calls; the remote site would never place a
call, just answer. So no DTR or v.25bis dialing hackery would be needed.

Perhaps there is a non-cisco box that someone has used before to do
something similar. Checked Adtran's website, but they did not seem to have
anything usable for this, and i do much prefer something running IOS if at
all possible.

TIA,

-jon