Re: [nsp] Debugging on 3600

From: Ryan O'Connell (ryan@complicity.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 05:32:41 EDT

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 10:07:06AM +0100, Jean-Christophe Varaillon wrote:
> I would like to know if it is (if yes how) to do a "debug ip .." where the
> debuging information would be sent on a file of a remote unix box and not
> be display on the terminal.
>
> Do you know if this will increase too much the CPU utilization rate
> and if it will decrease the efficiency of the router ?

Debugging to syslog is more efficient than debugging to terminal, so you will
actually decrease CPU usage. However, be careful that the "debug ip" command
you enter doesn't also log the syslog traffic or you will send the router
into a death spiral. In general, it's best to do "logging console info" before
any heavy debug activity - by default debug output goes to the console and
this tends to overload routers.

The best (In terms of CPU usage) way of debugging is to log to the internal
buffer only. Something like:

logging buffered 81920 debugging
logging console informational

(81920 is the size of the internal buffer you want, IIRC 4k is default)

You can then cut-and-paste the buffer output from "show log" to wherever is
required. Other useful commands are:

service timestamps debug datetime msec localtime show-timezone
service timestamps log datetime msec localtime show-timezone
(Adds timestamps to loging output)

And of course, to get accurate timestamps:
ntp server 10.1.1.1
ntp server 10.1.1.2
(with yuor own local NTP servers specified of course)

HTH.

--
Ryan O'Connell - <ryan@complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines, I'm just learning new things with the passage of time