[nsp] REG: Rate Limiting MPLS VPN's using CAR

From: Vinod Anthony Joseph Cherunni (vac@dsqworld.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 04:54:47 EDT

Dear All,

Once again I am back with a query in my mind in regard to rate limiting
MPLS VPN traffic using CAR. Now assume I have a policy as given below -

interface Serial2/1:1.101 point-to-point
 description ### MPLS Connection to customer - XYZ ###
  rate-limit input access-group 100 256000 32000 32000 conform-action
transmit exceed-action drop

Now I understand that this policy means that the customer can enjoy a
Committed Rate of 256 Kbps. Now the comitted & extended burst is indicated
in bytes. Does this committed & extended burst which is configured for
32000 bytes ie 256 Kbps indicate that any given point of time the customer
can burst upto 256 Kbps of data at maximum. I understand that this is how
the Frame Relay CIR works. Want to know how different CAR is.

Or else does the comitted & extended burst sum up to the Comitted Rate. I
mean does the rule indicate the following
comitted rate + comitted burst + extended burst = 256 Kbps + 256 Kbps +
256 Kbps.

Kindly advise me.

With warm regards,

Vinod.