Re: [nsp] Monitoring BGP routes...

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 10:03:17 EDT

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 12:24:14PM -0700, R.P. Aditya wrote:
> The easiest way (that I can think of) of monitoring the number of BGP prefixes
> from a Cisco is to periodically dump and parse the output of the last column
> of "sh ip bgp sum".

This is what we do. A very simple script (perl) rsh's to the router,
gets "sh ip b su", and parses the output.

If a peer goes down or sends me zero routes (and this condition is
more recent than 24hrs) I get a warning e-mail.

If a peer announces "too much" (.*) max-prefix will get 'em, and then
the watchdog job will complain about "session is down".

The most amazing thing is that most of our peers just don't notice if a
session goes down, due to whatever reason... (it's always me that sends
mail "hey, what's up?").

gert

--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from *ICE to Frankfurt*