RE: Nasty iBGP design issue...

From: Pegg Damon (Damon.Pegg@carrier1.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 05:31:58 EDT

Oops, should have been 1/3 :)

> > The KEEPALIVE messages are quite short (19 octets), so we
> can use the
> > formula 19*8/k, where k is keepalive frequency; hence 5
> second keepalives
> > and and 30 second holdtimer gives only 30bps i/o per neighbor.
> > Processing, according to Cisco, is negligible.
>
> However, under load, I've seen Cisco's fail to get the
> keepalives out on
> time, causing some nasty instabilities.

Exactly why I wouldn't advocate it for the core mesh, not that its needed
there. Also, I have an IGP 0/0 advertised to the rr clients for network
ingress traffic. egress to that device is admittedly tricky hence the
balancing act between stability and fallover time - Basically why I didn't
want to use it if there was any alternative...