Re: [nsp] Cat6K/OSR PFC2 not getting L2 info

From: Andre Gironda (andre@operations.net)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 16:52:16 EDT

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 07:23:20PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 03:52:09AM -0700, Andre Gironda wrote:
> > Don't forget that the SUP2 restricts 16 HSRP groups in hardware.
> > What other functionality is limited by this so-called chip?
>
> Is that 16 HSRP groups on the whole SUP2, or 16 groups per VLAN? The
> latter would be OK, the former quite restrictive...

16 group identifiers per VLAN. The way I understand it, the
default group is 0 and you can number specific groups 1 to 15.
standby group identifiers in the 16+ range are not an option.

I'm really only affected "cosmetically" because I have one VLAN
which is incapable of migration with 19 groups on it, and my SUP1A
MSFC1 configs were otherwise standardized to use the VLAN number
as the HSRP group identifier for ease in troubleshooting.

Cisco says it's not that big of a deal, but my point is that
if they are going to stop supporting something because an 8bit
chip is cheaper than a 64bit one, then something is wrong. It
was a bad decision made early on in the SUP2 design process.

Cisco is supposed to have information like "how many HSRP
groups people use per VLAN" and "the range of standby group
identifiers" people use through their NSA NATkit installations,
so they can be proactive about issues like this. They could
have even asked their customers directly during the SUP2
design. I don't understand why they would make a mistake
like this.

-dre