RE: portfast

From: Andrew Fort (afort@staff.webcentral.com.au)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 05:10:13 EDT

>Hi, what is the truth with macintosh machines in the
>enterprise. Do you really need to run portfast on the
>switches in order for the macs to obtain ip through
>dhcp. How would portfast affect an isp distributing
>ip through a cable or dsl network?
>Dominick
>techiedom@yahoo.com

hi dominick,

Some machines (read: ones that can boot quickly) can timeout for dhcp
requests irrecoverably before the switchport has gone through the listening
and learning stages in the spanning tree process. portfast assumes that
these steps are not required -- the port must be connected to an "end
station".

Yes, it does affect machines, we've seen macs and various laptops with
pcmcia ethernet suffer from this problem (on c2924xl and cat5k switches).

This problem is also mentioned in the CCIE professional dev. "Cisco LAN
Switching" book.

-afort