Re: New ISP setup

From: Giles Heron (giles@packetexchange.net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 16:08:29 EDT

Pete Shaw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone please share some greymatter re the following:
>
> I have just purchase quite a bit of (used)hardware (cisco/foundry/juniper),a
> small colo facility and are now planning on setting up an ISP. I have only a
> (very) basic understanding of BGP4 and of how routers/switches etc
> inter-connect. Long story short, this is what I'm trying to do (and I need
> to know if it feasible).
>
> The cisco 3460 router FA/1 port will be pointing to a peering exchange and
> will be carrying all domestic internet traffic.FA/2 is connected to one of
> the bigiron's ethernet ports.

3640, not 3460 - right?

In any case as Bill said this isn't a particularly capable router.
Better option would be to connect a port on the BigIron to the peering
exchange. Best option would probably to map this port through to the
Juniper at layer 2 so that the Juniper would appear on the peering
exchange (if the exchange will let you do this?) Just out of interest
is this APE or NZIX - or somewhere else???

> The juniper will be carrying all international traffic on its ATM port and
> connects to the bigiron via Ge.

So are you getting ATM capacity internationally? Ouch! Think of all
that cell-tax on trans-pacific circuits! Or are you getting this
capacity via another NZ provider?

> Q1)What is the best way to configure? Do they all do BGP? OSPF as IGP ? Do I
> use private addresses or from the alloted block on their interfaces?

If you use the 3640 for the connection to the peering point, the Juniper
for the international, and the BigIron in between them at layer 3 then
yes they all need to run BGP and OSPF. If the connection from the 3640
to the Juniper via the BigIron is at layer 2 then the BigIron doesn't
need BGP (this doesn't stop you from using the BigIron at layer 3 to
aggregate customers.) If the Juniper connects through the BigIron at
layer 2 to the peering exchange then only the Juniper needs BGP (and the
3640 becomes redundant...)

Use public addresses from your block for the interfaces.

> Q2)CA(CustomerA) wants to make use of my bandwidth. CA has a cisco 3400
> router at his end and wants to connect
> to my juniper via ATM-PVC and wants to utilize 1meg internationl and 5meg
> domestic bandwidth. What's the best way to do this?

Oh boy. Have I ever been here before!

There's no clean way to do this :(

The best thing I can think of off the top of my head is to put a rate
limit on the inbound side of your "international" PVC (assuming the
customer will mostly be pulling rather than pushing traffic) which
matches the customer's IP addresses. I *think* you can do that with the
Internet Processor II (assuming your Juniper has one of these in it?)

Alternatively you might be able do as Bill suggested and have two PVCs
to the customer. But then you'd have to do some sort of policy routing
gunk to get inbound traffic into the right PVC?

Giles

Giles Heron    Principal Network Architect    PacketExchange Ltd.
ph: +44 7880 506185              "if you build it they will yawn"