Re: [nsp] l3 switches and router

From: sthaug@nethelp.no
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 03:48:09 EDT

> Does anyone have idea about the different between l3 switches and router ?
> if i'm not mistaken, extreme/catalyst has capability to do routing so if l3
> switches can do routing and why i should buy a router for doing routing ?

The word "switch" has no precise meaning today - or to put it another way,
it only means what the marketing people *wants* it to mean.

Having said that, you'll often find that a switch does more of the packet
processing/forwarding in hardware, but sometimes has less functionality
and extensibility than a software based router.

As an example, take the 2948G-L3 which I'm rather familiar with - and
compare it for instance with a 7140 with 2 Fast Ethernet ports.

The 2948G-L3 has 48 10/100 ports and 2 GBIC ports, can forward millions
of packets per second (*much* more than a 7140). Sounds good, doesn't it?
Until you start looking at the limitations, some of which are:

- Fixed configuration, no extensibility. If you want a WAN port, forget
it.

- No ACLs on the 10/100 ports.

- Only IP and IPX.

- Since packet forwarding is done in hardware, the debugging and logging
facilities are not as good as the 7140.

- No possibility of BGP with full routing tables, due to fixed size memory
(too small), but BGP with partial routing tables can be done.

If you have a LAN-only IP-only environment, and the 2948G-L3 fits your
requirements, by all means go for it - it gives very good value for the
price. If your networking requirements are somewhat more complex, you'll
often find that L3 switches alone are not enough.