RE: [nsp] l3 switches and router

From: Chris Whyte (cwhyte@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 01:16:12 EDT

Actually, I find most of the above of little value these days. And some
of those mentioned are responsbile for creating this bogus comparison
and, therefore, industry confusion, among many individuals, around L3
switches and routers. Simply put, there is no real, quantifiable
difference. But, more importantly, it's a product tag that's completely
meaningless when evaluating a piece of equipment for your network. It
gets people to focus on the wrong thing.

Jaka, my suggestion would be to look at your application, requirements,
operational understanding, etc and see what others are deploying in very
similar cases. I believe you'll get much farther towards choosing the
right product using this approach.

Thanks,

Chris