Re: [nsp] RSP4 and RSP8 together?

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 03:39:43 EDT

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 10:17:18PM -0700, John Welder wrote:
> Basically all bets are off on which gets elected master and which
> get's elected slave if you mix RSP8 with RSP2 or RSP4.
>
> If a crash just occurred, that RSP which crashed will elect to be
> the slave on the next boot. This is reliable. But on subsequent
> boots or power cycles of the router, which RSP will elect to be
> the master is not deterministic if mixed RSP8 and other RSPs
> are used.

Ah, I see. So it doesn't honour the "slave default-slot" setting
anymore?

> So for this reason we don't officially support mixed RSP8s
> with other RSPs.

Thanks for clarification. I have now ordered a second RSP4.

(Do you know whether a RSP8+ or something is planned, with more than 256Mb
maximum DRAM size? 256Mb is plenty today, but considering how fast 128Mb
changed from "plenty" to "not enough"...)

regards,

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de