[nsp] CIR - Traffic Shaping on Rate Limit

From: Michuki Mwangi (Michuki@swiftkenya.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 06:43:38 EDT

Hello,

I need some help on where i might be going wrong in implementing CIR on my
serial links to shared sites.
I have 4 clients in one building with a shared 128 kbps link. I have enabled
Traffic shaping using ACLs on the clients end of the router on the serial
interface and that works fine it even shows the shaping stats. Howover from
the traffic shapping info applying that on the serialinterface on the
clients router affects outbound traffic from that serial interface to me.
Now i need to have the same shapping happening on my router to the clients
end. When i do more or less the same setup, place the traffic shape on the
inteface leading to that building .. it never shapes anything. What i would
like to achieve is this

Client A has paid for a CIR of 32 kbps to burst to 64 Kbps
Client B has paid for a CIR of 16 Kbps burstable to 32 kbps etc etc ..

How best do i set this one up using traffic shaping, rather than Rate limit
though it seems to be rating the traffic to the CIR but bursting is in bytes
not bits.

Regards,

Michuki