Re: Network Management Tools

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 15:29:42 EDT

Well, ping something remote and a packet generated by the remote router
has to come back to you. 8-)

I set this up a long time ago here, with a program invoked from mrtg
that did a ping and returned a log function of the ping time, and
graphed both average and max, with the max in red. 8-)

While interesting, it was eating CPU relative too all the other activty
on the MRTG box and I eventualy discontinued it. It appeared to reveal
many problems, but prone to misinterpretation, since the time for a
router to respond to a ping packet (or it's willingness do do so at all)
has only a weak relation to the time required for it to pass on a packet,
at least in cisco land...

                                                George