Supplying full BGP table to customers

From: Elijah Kagan (elijah@netvision.net.il)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 10:25:52 EDT

Hi Everybody,

I have a question about ways of supplying full Internet routing table to
customers.

Lately, each and every customer of ours wants us to supply them the full
Internet routing table via BGP, even those customers that have 0.005 bps
of bandwidth. The problem is that not all of our poor 7200 acting as
customer aggregation routers can handle that kind of routing table without
major memory upgrade.

I was wondering whether people use route servers for the task of suppling
full routing table to customers?

I'll expand on that. A customers connects to an aggregation router as
usual and establishes a BGP session with it. This session is used only to
advertise customer's and our prefixes. Another BGP session is
established, this time between a customer and a route server. Customer
then receives full routing table and route server takes care not to learn
anything from that customer. This installation reduces the amount of
memory needed by an aggregation router to the minimum.

I'd like to hear some comments regarding the above configuration. Are
there any common techniques of supplying full routing table except the
obvious?

Thanks,

Elijah