RE: [nsp] OSPF area size

From: Kris Foster (Kris.Foster@telus.com)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 16:04:34 EDT

Going with confeds might not be a great idea in this situation. In very
large enterprise networks and various service provider networks this can
make sense both technically and administratively.

BGP confeds will take more administrative work since you will configure OSPF
in each confed (along with maintaining BGP in and amongst confeds),
redistribute into and out of bgp, have to deal with all the appropriate
filtering, and manually maintain metrics across BGP peers (if you like
taking the best cost paths)! And do you really want to punish yourself
(assuming you setup dampening) because you have an unreliable link
somewhere?

You'll obviously have to understand your networks characteristics and pick
the best solution. Done properly you can use various tricks like stub areas
to keep routing tables on all routers at reasonable sizes, minimize
convergence time, and make troubleshooting easier.

Kris,