Re: [nsp] Frame-relay CIR

From: Stephen Sprunk (ssprunk@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 13:40:35 EDT

Thus spake <francisv@dagupan.com>
> Our telco provided us with a frame-relay link with a guaranteed
bandwidth
> of 128K that can burst up to 256K -- how does information fit in my
> frame-relay map-class? (see my comments within the map-class)
>
> map-class frame-relay mynet-to-hq
> no frame-relay adaptive-shaping

If you're going to configure for bursting, you should enable
"frame-relay adaptive-shaping becn"; otherwise you won't respond to BECN
flags and will end up dropping lots of traffic.

> frame-relay cir 256000
> ! Should the CIR value be set to 128000? If this is set to 128K,
> ! will the link still burst to 256K?

In the US, this should be the PIR (eg. 256k). Outside the US, this
should be the contracted CIR (eg. 128k).

The reason for this is non-US carriers rarely allow actual bursting;
you're lucky if you get full CIR. In the US, you can usually get PIR
24x7 without problems.

> frame-relay bc 2560
> ! How about the committed burst value? I'm also running VoIP
> ! on this link

cir/100 gives you Tc=10ms, which is fine for VoIP networks.

> frame-relay be 0

I'd recommend Be=Bc*7.

> frame-relay mincir 128000
> ! Is this necessary?

It's not necessary since default is mincir=cir/2,but I prefer to set it
explicitly rather than rely on defaults.

> frame-relay fair-queue
> frame-relay fragment 320
> ! Where should I base my fragment value?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft
/120limit/120xg/120xg3/12xgvofr/vofr4.htm#41606

The formula is F=P/800, where F is the fragment size in bytes, and P is
the PIR (aka "frame-relay cir") in bps.

> frame-relay ip rtp priority 16384 16383 45

If you're running 12.1(3)T or later, I'd recommend using LLQ instead of
RTP Priority (now deprecated) and matching on precedence 5 traffic.