problem with preconfiguring startup-config..

From: Andrew Fort (afort@choqolat.org)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 23:52:22 EDT

Hi folks,
I'm attempting to do automated rollouts of our generic IDC access-layer switches (cat 2924xl, 2950, 3524xl).

The method I'm using involves creating the switch configuration from an M4 script, pre-setting switches to get their address via DHCP in a setup VLAN, and then initiating a "copy tftp start" (via the console at the moment, triggered via SNMP being the next step).

The problem I face is that the tacacs-server line,

tacacs-server host 10.0.0.100

Is in the startup-config i load onto the box via tftp (confirmed with 'show start'), but upon reloading the switch with the new config, I get:

"Cannot open TACACS connection for 10.0.0.100", and the tacacs-server host line disappears from the running configuration.

Also there's an error:

"Cannot open logging port to 10.0.0.100", but the logging host configuration remains in the running config.

If this is not the intended behaviour, I'll log a tac case and be done with it. this occurs on 12.0(5.4)WC1 as well as older releases.

If I'm infact doing the builds the wrong way, can anyone lend me the right way (should I be using tftp-sourced configuration, rather than nvram? if so, how? :).

We're a vendor management software free zone, so my only experience doing rollouts is my own methods... Any advice people have about this is appreciated.

-amf