Re: RES: [nsp] BGP maximum datagram size

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 07:04:21 EST

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 09:58:49AM -0200, Loureiro, Rodrigo - (Bra) wrote:
> Thanks in advance for response.
>
> >So your application should be able to handle everything from 1 byte to
> >4096 bytes - more than that is against the RFC, but your neighbors are
> >free to send up to that amount.
>
> This is linked to a fragmentation problem that i´m investigating with Cisco
> in PE routers (VPN/MPLS architecture). Actually, if i could guarantee that
> Cisco BGP´s implementation will not send a packet greater than 536 bytes, i
> could isolate the problem scope, once it will not affect my routing
> environment. However, if it follows RFC1771 in such a way that it is
> possible for Cisco´s peer to send a packet till 4096 bytes, than i should
> consider BGP inside the problem scope.

Ah, now I understand. I read your mail in a different light, like
"I want to write a BGP implementation and I want to know how big my
buffers should be". Which explains my response :-)

As to your original question: sorry, I have no idea. A way to test this
might be "connect two really fast routers, one of them having the
full BGP table (>100.000 routes) and a really bleeding edge IOS (12.2T
has lots of BGP changes)" - and if you can't see any larger packets then,
assume that Cisco never sends larger packets. But this is no guarantee
for anything...

> Do you have a pointer to any documentation that could solve my doubt ?

Sorry, nothing.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de