Re: Smartnet and used equipment

From: Stephen Sprunk (ssprunk@cisco.com)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 17:13:46 EST

Thus spake "Scott Morris" <swm@emanon.com>
> When something is EOL (End of Life), it won't sell any more, but is
> typically supported for two additional years. During this time, smartnet
is
> perefectly fine. However, after that, it's EOS (End of Support), where
TAC
> won't help you with it, you can't RMA, and you can't get SmartNet for it.

EOS is End Of Sales, which is the date Cisco stops selling a product. EOL
is End Of Life, which is when Cisco officially stops supporting a product,
and almost always follows EOS by exactly five years. SmartNet *should*
still be available for any EOS product which hasn't reached EOL.

Note that I said "officially", as you may have trouble getting help for a
product that was killed a couple years ago, or you may still find helpful
folks that can solve your AGS problems today. Post-EOS support is largely
dependent on the engineer you get :/