Re: [nsp] bit rate accuracy?

From: Nicholas Bastin (nbastin@opnet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 14:45:15 EST

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 12:56, Jared Mauch wrote:
> The interface may also be taking into account 95% type information
> as far as bit rates, which mrtg may not pick up any 2-5 second bursts but
> the statistics collector within IOS may pick up also. I suspect that is
> what is really going on.

MRTG just polls the various MIB-2 ifOctets (in/out) counters. Unless
there is a bug in your IOS, these counters don't miss any bytes, and
thus it is impossible for MRTG to 'miss' any data (unless it loses the
SNMP query, of course, but that would report 0%).

Anyhow, as to the original question, I've never really been able to make
any sense of the 5 minute input/output counters on interfaces...the
numbers never seemed to make any sense, at least compared to any way
that *I* would compute that number. What I *do* know is that MRTG
builds graphs that look almost exactly like what my traffic generator is
showing me, so I really don't care what the interface counters say.

--
Nick Bastin
OPNET Technologies