[nsp] MM/SM gbics/cables

From: Mikael Abrahamsson (swmike@swm.pp.se)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 10:11:06 EST

I'm trying to figure out if Singlemode (LX) GBICS will work using
Multimode cabling.

Experiences so far are that if I insert MM cables into LX gbics then I do
not get link. If I unplug the MM connector a few millimeters in one or
both ends, then I get a link and I seem to be able to transfer data
correctly. So far I have not seen any CRC errors on the link in question.
(100.000 packets tested so far).

The cable I'm using is only 5 meters, I'm going to try with a 100 meter
cable later on.

Does anyone KNOW if this is a setup that should work? I talked to one
person who said that SM gbics are supposed to work the same distance in MM
cabling as the MM gbics, ie around 500-1000 meters or so, but I have not
heard this before.

I have two reasons for this, first of all I want to know in case I ever
have to do an emergency patch somewhere and I only happen to have MM
cabling available. Secondly I have a case where I need to do a temporary
setup and I only have long MM cabling and we do not use MM gbics but have
plenty of SM gbics.

SM=singlemode=LX
MM=multimode=SX

--