RE: [nsp] Level 3 Data Center Certification

From: Kevin Gannon (kgannon@lancomms.ie)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 12:31:20 EST

> Hi Guys....
> A question not relatied to cisco but I thought this
> would be the best palce to post this querry . DO ANY
> OF YOU KNOW WHAT LEVEL 3 Data Center Certification is
> all about ? Any web sites that cover what this
> certification entails ?

You're probably referring to NEBS standards, which are
a set of US standards on equipment that can be used in
Telco exchanges. Level 3 is the most stringent level,
and includes things such as protection from EMF, Operating
Temerature/humidity ranges, resiliency to lightning strikes
etc. As far as I'm aware, it only applies to equipment
and not data centers although I suppose a DC with only
NEBS-compliant kit in it is in itself compliant.

It is a standard assigned to kit by Telecordia labs.
I also believe that there is a set of work guidelines
for NEBs facailities. NEBs also covers vibration resistance.

Regards,
Kevin