Re: [nsp] Cisco ios traceroute VS. windows tracert ?

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 07:07:46 EST

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 06:09:45PM +0800, micky wrote:

> I have a little confusing about traceroute function between cisco ios and windows utility
> Sometimes I used "tracert -d" x.x.x.x command under windows,it can go through all nodes and display ip address of all
> But using traceroute under IOS,it can goes through all and display * * *
> Somebody told me tracert is UDP-designed,traceroute is ICMP-designed
> I don't know if it's real or not ?

Unix and IOS traceroute do UDP tracerouting, while windows tracert does
ICMP.

Some people block ICMP, then IOS/unix traceroute works - some other
people block UDP, then tracert works, some people block both, and you're
out of luck figuring out what else they broke in their networks.

(Yes - I do not like the idea of traceroute being filtered. I'm a
network builder, and it's *SO* important to figure out what's wrong if
people complain "I can't reach www.yahoo.com").

gert

--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from *train to Enschede(NL)*