RE: [nsp] Cisco ios traceroute VS. windows tracert ?

From: Stephen Gill (gillsr@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 10:16:34 EST

Traceroute can be implemented in several different ways. Two key things
that it needs are the ability to receive ICMP TTL expired messages, and
the ability to detect whether it has reached its final destination
(usually UDP packet to a high unused port). The latter is usually the
least important of the two.

If the network has blocked ICMP messages all together (not just echo,
echo-reply), then this will included the inability to receive TTL
expired messages from intermediate routers within. Even TCP traceroute
will fail to determine the IP addresses of intermediate hops, though it
may safely reach the final destination, and can gather the actual number
of hops.

-- steve

Nicolas