Re: [nsp] MPLS setup

From: Robert E. Seastrom (rs@seastrom.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 21:34:04 EST

Nick <nick@arc.net.my> writes:

> We run a small/medium ISP here with 5 PoPs and were flirting with the idea
> of running MPLS more for TE than QoS or VPN. Can I believe all the hype on
> MPLS and the wonders it promises. Are there any good resources/books for
> ISPs - a lot of the resources/books are more for IP-VPN. Or am I going the
> wrong way. Has any one successfully deployed MPLS in an ISP environment?
>
> Any hints/pointers/time of day is much appreciated.

Do you have the resources to buy enough lab equipment to be able to at
least partially model what you propose to set up? If you don't have
the wherewithal to get a good working knowledge of MPLS practice,
converting your network to it could prove to be a career-limiting move.

TE is no substitute for Quantity-of-Service. Given the finite number
of resources available in most small ISPs I've known, in your position
I would concentrate my efforts on upgrading my backbone and run good
'ol HDLC on my point-to-point links.

Can you believe the hype? I'll give you a hint: a huge proportion of
the people who are on the MPLS bandwagon right now are former ATM fans...

                                        ---Rob