[nsp] Cat6000 policing on output

From: sthaug@nethelp.no
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 18:02:44 EST

I've spent part of the holiday reading up on Cat6000 QoS, at

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/121_8aex/swconfig/qos.htm

The description seems to imply that Cat6000 is very good at policing
bandwidth on input, but not so featureful on output. Specifically,

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/121_8aex/swconfig/qos.htm#xtocid37

says "Catalyst 6000 family switches do not support the output
service-policy keyword on LAN ports." So I have a couple of questions:

- If I use VLAN-based QoS (instead of port based), can I then police
bandwidth on output? (Implying, of course, that if I have one port per
VLAN, I could get the same effect as port based policing on output...)

- By the same token, does this mean that pure L3 ports (no "switchport"
statement) cannot have bandwidth policing on output at all?