[nsp] MLS

From: Cheung, Rick (Rick.Cheung@NextelPartners.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 11:54:16 EST

        I have a question on MultiLayer Switching, with an MSFC and a 6509.
Is it true that an MLS flow is created even if the packets traverse the
MSFC, out the Flexwan, and across the wan? It's my understanding that MLS is
designed for Intervlan switching, and once the packet crosses the RP, there
are no enabled packets created, and it gets aged out in 3 seconds.

        I opened a TAC case yesterday, where the SE stated that MLS is
operating on the default VLAN1, and the hidden VLAN0 between the MSFC and
the 6509. In this regard, packets are MLS switched.

        I did see MLS flows in there for destinations that reside across the
wan, so he is probably correct. But I wasn't aware that MLS operates between
a VLAN and VLAN0.

Thanks,
Rick Cheung
mailto:rick.cheung@nextelpartners.com