Re: [nsp] GSR Engine 1/2/3/4? huh?

From: dre (andre@operations.net)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 16:12:33 EST

Type Perf ASIC Specs Application
Engine 0 250kpps OC12/BMA Both
Engine 1 650kpps Salsa/BMA48 Both
Engine 2 4Mpps PSA/Perf48 Core
Engine 3 4Mpps PSA+TCAM, Picante (nextgen Salsa), other custom ASIC's Edge
Engine 4 25Mpps Newest custom ASIC's Core
Engine 5 25Mpps ??? EFT/Beta customers? Edge

Perf tested on ingress for 300-byte packets on Engine 0 and 1, others tested at 40-byte packets
Engine 0 is also capable of 420kpps at 180-byte packets
BMA is the Buffer Managemnet ASIC (two per LC, rx and tx)
PSA is the Packet Switch ASIC

Rod is correct about Engine 4 cards and that they cannot be used in the 12008/12012's.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120limit/120s/120s10/hw_acl.htm
Discusses some of the impact that PSA and Salsa acceleration have on access-lists.
This document is also very good: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/gsrfaq_11085.shtml
And this: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/12000/12slc/index.shtml

Compiled ACL's with a few hundred lines can push the performance of ingress
Engine 0 down to 100kpps, Engine 1 to 200kpps, and Engine 2 can handle 1Mpps.
Don't even both configuring egress ACL's, it ruins the performance of E0/E1
even if you only have one E0 or E1 LC in the GSR and it doesn't even have
the egress ACL configuration.

Not much is known about the Engine 3 & 4 ASIC's, there are a lot of them,
and they seem to be capable of a lot more, but I'm sure it's at the cost of
complexity.

-dre