Re: [nsp] Maximum length for RS-232 for serial console connections?

From: Ryan O'Connell (ryan@complicity.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 14:26:44 EST

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:52:52AM -0800, Bulger, Tim wrote:
> In an effort to do a 'poor man's out of band management', I would like to
> make long runs of cable from the console ports of various routers to a
> centralized location to connect to a terminal server. Anyone have any idea
> what the maximum length would be for such a cable?

That's not "poor man's OOB" that's just good practice!

I've seen 100m (300') working on good Cat5 - as it's asynchronous there's
probably no theoretical maximum limit.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan@complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines, I'm just learning new things with the passage of time